Thursday, July 9, 2015



Went on a bike ride at the beach today, and I was watching all the people at family or group picnics. It was heartwarming in this day and age to see so many children and adults happy to be spending time together outdoors. It reminded me of when I was a teenager living in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, and my dad would announce that we were all going to the beach. My mom would make burgers or buy chicken for him to grill, and we’d take coolers of food and beverages to one of those public picnic shelters on the beach in Destin. We’d spend the whole day body surfing, building sand castles, and eating the delicious food my dad cooked. He was in his element at the grill and at the beach. And when my sister Lynda would come down with her family from Montgomery, it was even better. The more the merrier! What a simple, blissful time that was. 

I miss my dad. He would be 95 if he were still alive. I know that’s too old to be grilling burgers at the beach, but I miss him anyway. And I miss those happy days of childhood. As one of his favorite entertainers used to say, “Thanks for the memories!"

No comments:

Post a Comment